Friday 14 April 2017

Painting procrastination

Procrastination. noun. Putting off the things you're supposed to be doing by doing something else entirely.

Oh, I tell myself I'm actually doing research, reviewing image after image of British western desert 8th Army camouflage, or that I'm planning, trying to work out a system for basing 30YW figures that will work equally well for Pike & Shotte and Field of Glory, or that I'm learning, viewing videos on weathering techniques, but what I'm really doing is putting off making up the figures for Bolt Action or basing the Swedish army of Gustavus Adolphus or painting an Imperial Guard army.

Part of it involves unrealistic expectations. While the kit remains in the box it could end up looking as good as the box art, until the figure is painted it might be a masterpiece, so I've tended towards analysis paralysis, and doing nothing, instead of setting reasonable expectations and then being satisfied with reasonable results, and what's more, learning from those results so that the next result is a little better.

So, this is an attempt at self-motivation, keeping expectations under control, getting some projects to the work bench, and actually painting and finishing some figures and models.

Cadian 287th Armoured "Sand Scorpions"

What kicked some of this off is that I finally hauled out some 40K Imperial Guard models that got as far as undercoating and managed to finish one; the idea was for a colour and camouflage scheme inspired by the British 8th Army of WWII, the famous "Desert Rats".

The first vehicle for the 287th Cadian Armoured "Sand Scorpions" is a modified Taurox using the Longhorn 6x6 Wheel Conversion Kit from Blood and Skulls Industry, which I think makes it into a rather nicer looking and less goofy vehicle.




 It's painted in the Caunter camouflage scheme and intended to carry a rather wild and unkempt looking veteran squad (who are partially complete).


Main areas of the vehicle were airbrushed with Vallejo model colour and model air paints, with Army Painter soft and strong tone washes. My initial attempt at "chipping" using a sponge was only semi-successful and some of the worst areas were reworked later.

Tamiya sand and soot also got tried, along with some Vallejo pigment, and a touch of Army Painter rust effects paint on the exhausts.

Decals were kept to a minimum, with a unit badge on one side, and small numbers on the other side and back.  In review I think this was a bit light and I'll look at adding more lettering on future vehicles. The left side shows the Sand Scorpions badge, (made by Forge World, for their Red Scorpion marines), that I'm using as intentionally echoing the red and white jerboa of the 7th Armoured.
This is the very first vehicle that I've tried weathering, and it's been a good learning experience. I can see all the places it hasn't gone quite to plan (particularly some pooling of wash that's left unintended stains) but I'm pretty happy with it as a first attempt.

It's also given me a reference point for the next models, and something to aspire to improve upon. One vehicle down, about a dozen to go... for this army.

No comments:

Post a Comment