Saturday 6 May 2017

Diversions and distractions

While I have been putting off blogging, I haven't actually been putting off painting, it's just that some diversions have distracted me from the Cadian 287th.

A viewer might wonder, for example, why giant chickens (technically "roosters") got into my painting queue... to which the answer might be: matrimonial harmony.
 


Those are indeed quite big roosters (the bases are 25x50 cavalry bases) and are expected to have Imperial Halfling riders in the not too distant future. Undercoating these was interesting as she wanted some of them two-tone, where they're going to have pale bodies and dark tails for instance.

They're part of my wife's "oldhammer" Imperial army which has managed to morph and spawn complete landsknecht styled halfling and dwarf armies.  These figures are the result of a Kickstarter by TAG (The Assault Group) who are now producing fantasy miniatures originally sculpted for White Knight's Miniature Imperium.  Anyone looking for classic-GW-style halflings and dwarves should have a look at TAG (who I might add are very nice to deal with).

An additional distraction arose in the form of building and prepping a Konflict '47 model that I've been wanting to make up since I bought it. Early days yet, but it's now built and has had the first pass of Vallejo Olive Drab primer.


The biggest diversion from the Cadians however has been an M3 Stuart "Honey" tank from Warlord Games, painted up in Caunter camouflage, and intended for my embryonic NZ 2nd Division desert war Bolt Action army.

The kit went together fairly well, there were a couple of places I ended up with gaps, but I have an idea that this was at least as much my fault as a the kit's.  I'd decided to be sneaky and prime the wheels and tracks on their sprues before assembly.  Bad idea.  It just made assembly harder, and I had to then mask those areas while trying to base coat the rest; just wasn't worth it. It also didn't help that this is a tiny tank - assembly reminded me of the 1/72 scale Matchbox models I built as a kid.
Size comparison: Warlord 1/56th Panther on the left, Plastic Soldier Company 15mm Panther on the right.
It finally all went together, though there remained an odd gap under the rear - almost as if an instruction and part was missed.  I patched it with a bit of unused panel from the M3A1 variant, but it was completely invisible when the model isn't upside down, so may well be intended.

Also had a few issues with priming, but I think this is because I've changed airbrushes (Badger Patriot) and set the pressure lower in line with the instructions. The recommended 15psi seems to work well for VMA, but Badger's own Stynylrez primer appears to need 25-30.  Oh well, all a learning experience.

Eventually got the model primed, and then base coated in VMA Portland Stone, VMC Pale Green Blue (for the Caunter "silver grey"), and VMA BS Dark Green (for "slate").

The tent/tarpaulin could use some further lightening, but otherwise the base-coating is done, along with some so-so chipping.  Decals were stolen from a Bren Carrier kit for the silver fern and blue-green number (which I believe should be "81" not "41", but...)

Finally, the rather nice box art for the kit inspired me to swap out the included commander for a Perry Miniatures one with bandana and googles.  The photo hasn't come out too well - the phone camera wasn't keen to focus this close - but I'm pretty pleased with how the painting worked out.

I'm planning to try weathering the M3 Stuart model with enamels, so it's getting varnished first.  I expect the next post will detail whatever horrible fate befalls this little tank as I experiment with enamel filters and dust effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment