Sunday 11 June 2017

M5A2 Coyote & Sherman T - Konflikt '47

After getting a bit distracted by the Marmon-Herrington and X-Wing, the US troops for Konflikt '47 have finally got back on track with a M5A2 Coyote light walker and M4A9 Sherman-T medium tank completed.

The walker does need a base, but I'm still considering how to base the US troops generally and want them consistently themed, so that can wait a bit.

Both were primed in the same way as the M8 Grizzly walker with Vallejo US Olive Drab surface primer, and then base-coated with some colour modulation using VMA US Olive Drab as the base, darkening with RLM 70 Black Green and lightening with Yellow Ochre.
Decals came from the Warlord Sherman kit and from a Rubicon Models generic Commonwealth sheet. On the walker I added a US flag on the right shoulder (as I'd done for the Grizzly) to blur the lines a little between vehicle and troop markings because of the walker's humanoid shape.


For the Coyote I decided to go a bit further, and as it's a one man suit decided to add rank markings. Carefully cutting apart a German cross provided some appropriately sized chevrons which got added to the left "fore-arm".
  
The Sherman's Tesla gun was painted with a Vallejo Dark Blue and then given several progressively lighter coats by adding Reaper MSP Sapphire Blue and LED Blue, each leaving a little of the darker colours in the depths. The final colours were pure MSP LED Blue and then some fine lines of MSP Maggot White.
 
When it came to weathering I changed the filter a bit.  I was happy with how the Grizzly turned out but felt that the Dark Brown for Green enamel (intended for use on Soviet armour) was perhaps just a bit dark and decided to try a lighter tone.
Both the tank and the walker were given a wash of Ammo of Mig Brown for German Dark Yellow. This didn't darken the olive drab as much but did seem to enrich the colour. I'm very happy with that result and plan to use the same wash on my heavy armoured troopers.
Streaking grime was used on the tank particularly and I had my first go with using an airbrush to spray mud off a paintbrush to create splashes.  Tip for the novice: reduce air pressure.  After cleaning up the initial mess I gently added new splashes.
I'm mostly happy with the final effects, the weathering is something I need to practice and work on; it's all a learning experience.

I also have five US heavy infantry partially completed, but am starting to feel LRDG-ish, so we'll have to see what gets painted next.



No comments:

Post a Comment